Manual Handling Training
Each state has a similar section in the legislation… Work Health & Safety Regulation (QLD) 2011 section 60 states “A PCBU must manage risks to health & safety relating to a musculoskeletal disorder associated with a hazardous manual task…”
Part of the Hazard & Risk Assessment is to identify issues and implement the hierarchy of control to reduce injury. Then comes the training which is conducted over a two hour period in groups of no more than 20 people; or can be done by online training. (NOTE: if online training they will have to video or demonstrate their able to manually lift via a zoom session with the trainer).
There are three types of manual handling training:
Manual Handling of Objects
(Maintenance Workers, Warehousing, Cleaners, Orderlies)
- What is Manual Handling
- Employer and Employee Responsibilities
- Impact to YOU
- The Human Body and How It Moves
- The Spine
- Manual Handling the SAFE Way
- Specific Issues at YOUR workplace
- Stretching Exercise
- Practical Manual Handling Activities
- Written Assessment
Manual Handling of Persons
(Doctors, Nurses, Respite Workers, Bus Drivers)
This course is aimed at patient care workers (home care workers or hospital bus transports) who are manual handling people.
The Practical Manual Handling Activities covers how to assist patients in and out of wheelchairs, beds and onto buses.
Equipment needs to be provided or can be hired.
Risk Assess Manual Tasks
You need to carry out a risk assessment for any manual tasks that have the potential of being hazardous or you have identified as being hazardous.
A Risk Assessment of manual tasks will help you identify:
- Postures, movements and forces that pose a risk and at what point that they may become dangerous
- Why they are happening and what needs to be done to fix the situation.
- A well-designed work area, work procedures, ergonomically designed tools and equipment will help eliminate or reduce risk factors associated with hazardous manual tasks.
- Failure to appropriately manage hazardous manual task may result in a breach of the Work Health & Safety legislation and incur penalties